Leonardo da Vinci was born in Vinci, Italy on April 15th, 1452. One of greatest geniuses to have ever lived, he was a master painter, draftsman, engineer, inventor, mapmaker and observer of the natural world.
He studied anatomy, physics, biology and mathematics. His paintings are breathtakingly beautiful; he is perhaps most famous for his paintings, the â€śLast Supperâ€ť and the â€śMona Lisaâ€ť.
His accomplishments go far beyond the realm of art. He left drawings of inventions such as aircraft, anatomical structures, hydraulic tools and an underwater diving suit, thus proving his genius as a scientist way ahead of his time.
He routinely wrote in mirror script, so his writings could only be read in a mirror.
Leonardo da Vinci lived for 67 years; he died on May 2 1519 in France.
Learn More About The Mona Lisa
- The Myth of the Mona Lisa
- Masterful Technique of the Mona Lisa
- La Joconde
- The theft and recovery of the Mona Lisa
- Read about the Mona Lisa
Visit the Mona Lisa
Learn More About Da Vinci
- Leonardo Da Vinci – Renaissance Man
- Leonardo Da Vinci Biography Site
- Da Vinci biography article
- Leonardo Da Vinci – Renaissance Personality
- Timeline Biography
- Manuscripts and Biography
- Leonardo’s Studio – Interactive from the BBC
- Leonardo Da Vinci – Dyslexic Genius
- Da Vinci Gallery of Paintings
- Da Vinci Artwork in Detail
- Machine Designs by Da Vinci
- Leonardo Da Vinci – Inventor
- Leonardo’s workshop – A teacher’s GuideÂ (pdf)
- Da Vinci for Kids